3.19.2008

The Desert Nuns

I just found the luckiest people on earth.

This community of Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration of Our Lady of Solitude Monastery in Phoenix Arizona. They live a contemplative life in the desert - what I wouldn't do for that great privilege. These lucky, lucky nuns live in the desert and worship Jesus. They pray for the world. This is their WHOLE LIVES.
Even their home has a great name: Our Lady of Solitude. Solitude! How wonderful would solitude be, especially in this Holy Week! A distance from work, from school, a chance to stop talking for days on end and do nothing but worship God and work in the desert ...

AND they're Poor Clares. That means they're affiliated with Franciscans, and, God willing, they will be my sisters if I take my vows as a secular Franciscan ...
If I wasn't married, I'd be a desert nun. I wish Bear and I could be desert Secular Franciscans. We could teach kids out there, live in an eco-house, have our rainbow children, and pray.

I hope the desert nuns realize how lucky they are.

1 comment:

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Not so much appropos of your post comment, but I'm hoping you're both feeling better.